Online Learning and Resources
Complete your CPD anytime, anywhere
SAPMEA recognises that you cannot always find the time to attend our workshops, therefore our online learning and resources have been developed with you in mind.
Panel-led case discussions: Complex diabetes
Held on 8th October 2020
This education session is a part of a series of webinars designed to be delivered as panel-led case discussions to promote peer learning. These sessions aim to unpack curly and complex patient presentations and to give health professionals the chance to share and learn from the expertise and experience of peers and expert panellists.
• Discuss the diagnosis Diabetes
• Discuss the treatment of Diabetes
• Examine the referral pathways for a multi-disciplinary approach to Diabetes
Blinded by Sugar
Held on 1st October 2020
Blinded By Sugar - the toxic impact of sugar and the rise of type 2 diabetes.
This session tells the story of Neil Hansell, a man who woke one morning blind in both eyes due to neglect of his diabetes. In this confronting 20-minute keynote presentation, Dr Muecke discusses why type 2 diabetes is a growing worldwide epidemic and explores a number of strategies to curb the toxic impact of sugar on our health and on our world.
Panel-led case discussion: The complex COPD patient
Held on 3rd September 2020
This education session is a part of a series of webinars designed to be delivered as panel-led case discussions to promote peer learning. This session aims to unpack curly and complex COPD patient presentations and to give health professionals the chance to share and learn from the expertise and experience of peers and expert panellists.
• Discuss the diagnosis COPD
• Discuss the treatment of COPD
• Examine the referral pathways for a multi-disciplinary approach to COPD
Click to view
Depression and the use of alcohol and illicit drugs
Held on 16th July 2020
By the end of the education, GPs should feel more confident when identifying, communicating with and managing patients with mental health issues and substance use behaviours.
• Recognise the key characteristics of depression
• Discuss the most appropriate harm minimisation response for people who have an addition to alcohol and other drugs
• Describe the multidisciplinary treatment options available in South Australia for addiction and the appropriate referral process
• Examine appropriate referrals for patients who use illicit drugs
Domestic and Family Violence
Held on 14th July 2020
One of the darker side effects of Australia being in lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic is the rise in the number of people ringing domestic violence help lines. People and families are under a financial pressure and are feeling the effects of separation from a support network.
• Identify signs and indications of abuse
• Discuss the nature, severity, and impact of domestic violence
• Discuss how to approach enquiring about domestic or family violence
• Identify resources and support for families effected by domestic violence
Please note: Due to technical issues this webinar is not recorded. However please find the powerpoint presentation available in the link below.
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
Held on 9th July 2020
Early screening, diagnosis and management of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is important to prevent or reduce complications. A variety of guidelines exists, which assist Nurses, Aboriginal Health Workers and Midwives in the screening, diagnosis and management of GDM. This webinar is intended to increase the knowledge and confidence in caring for woman with GDM.
• Outline preconception counselling
• Evaluate early pregnancy testing and management
• Plan post-natal follow-up testing and management
Immunisation Update - Webinar Recording
Held on 25th June 2020
All Immunisation Providers - GP's, Nurses and Pharmacists were invited to attend this Immunisation update. National Immunisation Program (NIP) schedule changes are from 1 July 2020. There are changes to the immunisation schedule designed to improve protection against meningococcal and pneumococcal disease.
The changes are being implemented following recommendations from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) and other clinical experts.
• Changes to the NIP meningococcal vaccination schedule.
• Changes to the NIP pneumococcal vaccination schedule.
Please note: Unfortunately, there were some sound issues at different times during the webinar. Please accept our apologies. To ensure providers do not miss the information, please click here to view Angela's points.Click to view
Chronic Asthma in Children - Webinar Recording
Held on 18th June 2020
This webinar provides health professionals with clarity on the guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of paediatric asthma.
• Analysing the symptoms and clinical features suggesting an asthma diagnosis
• Discussing a stepped approach to adjusting asthma medication in children
• Identifying systems in practices and prioritising areas of improving asthma management for children
Medication Management - Webinar Recording
Held on 15th June 2020
This webinar was for general practice nurses, outlining diabetes pathophysiology, type 2 diabetes & diabetes pathway, managing glycaemia, medications in type 2 diabetes education and self-management, resources and case studies.
• Describe the natural progression for type 2 diabetes
• Develop an appreciation of the range of type 2 diabetes medications
• Identify patient education needs based on the type 2 diabetes education pathway
• Describe the referral pathways for medication education and individualised action plans
• Self-appraise own scope of practice
Time to Heal Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - Webinar Recording
Held on 11th June 2020
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that may occur after a traumatic event. Most Australians have been exposed to a traumatic events that have the potential to cause PTSD or other mental health problems.
• The assessment and management processes of people with PTSD
• The role of the GP in management of people with PTSD
• Identifying the referral pathways available for patients presenting with PTSD to ensure patient safety
GP Management of Headaches - Webinar Recording
Held on 14th May 2020
This GP focused webinar presented by Dr. Zhuang BSc BMBS(Hons) FRACP Neurologist Flinders Medical Centre covered the examination of migraines, medication overuse, tension type headache, and cluster headache.
• Examine the clinical features of migraine, medication overuse headache, tension type headache and cluster headache
• Identify options within general practice to manage the primary headache
• Recognise the appropriate referral pathways when red flags of secondary headaches are identified
Dealing with Difficult Patients - Webinar Recording
Held on 28th April 2020
This webinar was created for frontline staff dealing with patients, either in person or over the phone, including receptionists, clerical staff in primary practice, pharmacy assistants and dispensary staff.
The webinar addresses effective communication and strategies for responding to difficult and anxious patients during this critical time including:
● Barriers to effective communication ● Risk Assessment ● Removing denial and making assumptions about personal safety ● Accountability ● Principles of cause and effect ● Focused imagery ● Methods of effective verbal and non-verbal communication ● Understanding the primal triggers of human behaviour ● Avoiding resistanceClick to view
SA Health 2020 Influenza Immunisation Program.
SA Health update on the 2020 Influenza Immunisation Program.
The Immunisation Coalition Influenza Webinar.
The Immunisation Coalition produces educational webinars for GPs, Immunisation Nurses, Pharmacists and other immunisation providers.Click for more information